From:
Nieft / Secola <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 22 Sep 1998 17:02:03 -1000
Amadeus:
>> Since vegetarianism involves only *leaving away* some certain foods,
>> i can't see a problem with it.
>> Or someone has to show why exactely this or that components
>> of meat *have* to be included.

Todd:
>One problem could be inadequate protein for optimal muscular
>development.  You are persuaded that human protein needs are
>quite low.  While I agree that we are able to get by on little
>protein, I believe that there is evidence that we do better on
>more protein than is available on a typical vegetarian diet
>(without protein isolates).

Further, fats may be as or more important than proteins. The human brain is
some three times larger than a chimps brain, and more than 50% fat if I
remember correctly, mostly the sacred EPA's and DHEA's. Fats are scarce in
vegetable foods. (Avocados are "new world" fruits and did not make up any %
of our old world paleo-ancestor's diet, though nuts probabbly did, but I
don't think either contains much of the important brain fats).

Amadeus:
>> Jus
>> t annother leaving out of food items.
>> Who can say that the worms and bugs weren't the most important animals?

Todd:
>That's reasonable, but if it's correct it only shows that
>Neanderthin may be as bad as your diet, not that vegetarianism is
>a good diet.

I have yet to meet a person who relies on insects for the major portion of
their animal food, especially a "vegetarian", though in theory this should
be entirely possible. The longterm problems of veganism without grains are
well-documented (weight loss, B12 deficiency, etc.) The whole idea that
simply "leaving out" certain foods can not be problematic is spurious. If
those foods were essential to human evolution--as animal foods seem to
be--then they can not be ignored if optimal health is the goal. To me, the
fact that chimps highly prize non-insect animal foods (young chimps will
BEG for portions of a kill!) argues that they would eat more non-insect
animal foods if they were available. Perhaps they are craving the
protein/fat not easily found in small portions of insects, nor in massive
amounts of vegetation. Who knows?

Cheers,
Kirt

Secola  /\  Nieft