From:
Amadeus Schmidt <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 21 Sep 1998 05:03:45 -0400
On Fri, 18 Sep 1998 19:16:50 -0400, Ilya <[log in to unmask]> wrote:

>Amadeus Schmidt wrote:
>> I didn't catch why you responded especially on soluble or insoluble,
>> we didn't talk about it before.
>> As we know the *fiber* of bran is all insoluble.
>Because you listed a lot of reasons why soluble fiber is so good for
>health (which it is) but then said that we should eat lots of bran.
>I just pointed out that bran fiber is insoluble (I didn't see
>the connection between benefits of soluble fiber and bran).
Ok now we got our agreement :-)
Fiber is so good for health.
Soluble fiber, may have some additional advantage, as I read,
but if you don't have enough of it, the insoluble is necessary,
to maintain your symbionts in your colon and gut.

For example raspberries have 7g fiber per 100g (soluble).
Curret recommendation is 30g per day, but paleolithic humans are
believed to have had much more of fiber per day.
Means between 500 to 2kg of the berries.
Or 250 to 600 grams of millet/rye/sesame.
Or 1kg to ... of vegetables like broccoli.

I personally prefer the insoluble fiber and feel dissatisfied
if I don't get enough of it.

>Ilya

Amadeus