From:
James Crocker <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 18 Sep 1998 00:04:04 -0500
>-------
>From:    Todd Moody <[log in to unmask]>
>Subject: Re: Beets and other foods

>>For example, rice and buckwheat are not official grains,
>>rather a grass and fruit, technically.  But you still can't consume >>them with just a stick,
you need some technology, like cooking.

>The other idea, however is that this rule is supposed to coincide
>more or less with pre-agricultural diet.  But here we have
>considerable slack.
So I've noticed.

>It would be reasonable to believe that they also
>had fire.  If this is correct, then humans may have been eating
>foods that are only edible when cooked for nearly a million
>years.  An example would be rice, or wild rice.
[snip]... Wild rice is different from regular rice, of course,
>but it is an example of a "non-paleo" food that may have been
>gathered and eaten by humans for a *very* long time.

Very interesting.  I wonder what other "non-paleo" foods hunter/gatherers were processing, and
how long ago?  What about sweet potatoes and yams?

>I've mentioned before that some legumes can be made edible simply
>by lengthy soaking (e.g., lentils).  While this is not something
>that other primates would bother to do, it is something easily
>within reach of paleolithic technology.  I need hardly add that
>bean *sprouts* require no technology beyond soaking.

Aren't beans supposed to be "non-paleo"?  Would this include the sprouts?  What about all the
other sprouts for other plants (grains, etc.)  How do the nutritional profiles compare to the
end product (like oat sprouts compared to whole oats)?
>------------------------------
>From:    Michael Audette <[log in to unmask]>
>Subject: Re: Caloric requirements
>
>   James,
>  HGers, on average, work one hour a day. I believe there is a reference >to this in Ray's
book, or he knows where it is.

Thank you for the reference.  I have read research articles indicating that H/G groups don't do
much active foraging for food.  They can get all their food (mostly plant sources, and a little
hunted meat, rabbits, birds) in 3 hours or less.  This leaves plenty of leisure time.

However, I don't understand your point by mentioning this.

James Crocker
"Violence is the last refuge of the
 incompetent." - Salvor Hardin