NO-MILK Archives

Milk/Casein/Lactose-Free List

NO-MILK@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Kathryn M Przywara <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 10 Sep 1998 19:49:37 -0700
After scouring the stores looking for dairy and corn free chicken
nuggets, I gave up and made my own.  I remembered this recipe I'd used a
long time ago from a Sunset cookbook and modified it a bit as far as the
seasonings go.  I made them for dinner tonight and made extra.  The idea
is to freeze the extra and heat them in the oven.  Don't know if that
part will work well yet :-)  They are cooling on a rack so they hopefully
won't get soggy.

Kathy P.

Crisp Chicken Nuggets

3 whole chicken breasts (about 1 lb. each) skinned, boaned and split
1 c. flour
2 tsp seasoning mix (I used Shilling All-Purpose Salt-Free Seasoning)
(original recipe called for 1/2 tsp paprika instead of seasoning mix)
1 tso salt
1/8 tsp pepper
3/4 c. beer
Oil for frying

In a deep pan, heat 2 inches of oil to 350F.

Meanwhile, cut chicken meat into 1 1/2 inch chunks.  In a large bowl,
stir together flour, seasoning, salt and pepper with a wire whisk.
Gradually wisk in beer, blending until smooth.

Place chicken in batter and stir to coat.  Using tongs, lower chicke
pieces one at a time into hot oil.  Do not overcrowd the pan.  Cook until
meat is no longer pink in center when slashed and coating is golden
brown, 4-5 minutes.  Drain well on paper towels.  Repeat with remaining
chicken pieces.

Serve with dipping sauce of your choice.

There is also a variation to substitute 1/4 cup of cornmeal and 3/4 cup
of flour.  Season with 2 tsp chili powder and 1/4 tsp cumin and 1/4 tsp
oregano.  I've made this in the past and they are much crunchier with the
cornmeal.

Or call Juno at (800) 654-JUNO [654-5866]