CELIAC-DIABETES Archives

Celiac-Diabetes Support List

CELIAC-DIABETES@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Fran Gillespie <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 3 Sep 1998 16:46:25 -0700

Hi Greg~ You've come to the right place. We have not established a FAQ
for diet recommendations as yet, in part because many people choose
different paths (because we all respond differently to different foods).

If I had to make a generalization, I'd say most celiac safe foods (in
the grain department) are very high in carbs. Carbs are what zing out
the blood glucose.
You need to become familiar with carb counting, and really pay attantion
to the nutritional facts labels, and the serving size. (total carb
counts, not just the sugar).

Basically though, the celiac diabetic needs to reduce the amounts of
high carb grains they take in. Also a good idea to become familiar with
the glycemic index (how likely certain foods are to spike bg's) You can
find that on Rick Mendosa's web site.

http://www.cruzio.com/~mendosa/bookmark.html

Also Pam here on our list has a young daughter w/ this disease combo who
will have a great deal of info..... Take it away Pam!

Fran