CELIAC-DIABETES Archives

Celiac-Diabetes Support List

CELIAC-DIABETES@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Pam Nylander <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 2 Sep 1998 13:02:08 -0500

Laura and Susan:

I have also read that milk products contribute to diabetes, but since I
have had a severe dairy allergy for several years, Brittany did not get
much dairy in her pre-diabetic state (7 years). One in a "great" while
we would have ice cream or cheese but that was about it. She only has
had 1 ear infection (age 6) and 1 strep throat (3 mos. after dm diag.).
Personally, I feel dairy contributes to these and my sinus surgeon in
Denver told me that dairy increases the mucus membranes to produce more
mucus which is a leading cause of infections.

So the lack of dairy in the diet didn't help in our situation because
Brit got the dm anyway, probably due to the celiac disease and genetics.
But in many other cases this could be true we are all made up
biochemically and genetically different. What works for one person won't
for another.

Have a great Day!

Pam