CELIAC-DIABETES Archives

Celiac-Diabetes Support List

CELIAC-DIABETES@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Stephen Moseley <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 1 Sep 1998 23:23:24 -0500

Thanks Fran :)

> So tell us what you mean ..... by trying---
> if nothing has changed something of the gluten variety is most likely
> still in your diet & causing you problems.
>
> There is lots of collective exxperience here on the list, so please feel
> free to post you questions & concerns.
>
> It might be as simple as getting rid of soy sauce, or white vinegar
> hidden in foods that can make the difference for you.

I find it hard to reason with others and myself over those hidden ingredients.
For instance - say I go out with others to a restaurant.  Should I always
assume that the salsa and corn chips have been contaminated with flour?  And
what restaurants can I eat at.  Oriental is out, even though it is hard to
convince others because they serve rice, but everything is laced with soya
sauce.  Should I assume that Mexican is out because their corn flour torillas
will probably be contaminated with flour.  Their intentions may be good, but if
they just rolled out a flour tortilla and put corn flour on top of the wheat
flour on the table, then it will be contanimated.  What about barbeque sauce.
Barbeque is very popular in Texas, and all my co-workers want to take me to
their favourite barbeque restaurant.  Should I assume that all barbeque sauce
is contaminated.  Ok, I should ask the cook, but if the cook is like most
people, they will say 'No, there is no wheat in it.' Their 'No' means there
isn't cups of  flour in it, but how much.  When I go out to eat, I guess I
should always go to a fine restaurant and ask for the food to be prepare plain,
so as to avoid contamination, but then I feel so paranoid, I'm not enjoying the
meal and I'm making others uncomfortable.

> Dx'x in April means you are still adjusting & figuring out what works
> for you.  Are you a type 1 or 2 diabetic?

Not diabetic at all.

> What seems to be the problem area?

anemia, really unpleasant bowel movements, lack of energy, and as you can
summarise, a rather grumpy negative disposition.

> Have you seen a dietician?

Yes, I've recently moved to Austin (from Canada) and now have medical coverage
and will be seing a doctor (internist), so maybe he can refer me to a
dietician.  In Canada I did see a dietician.  She explained all the basics, but
I don't know how far I have to go.And while I remember SPELT - is that on the
avoid list or OK list?

> How can we help?

You are helping.  Thank you for responding to my concerns :-)

Stephen Moseley