BULLAMANKA-PINHEADS Archives

BULLAMANKA-PINHEADS@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

BP - Telepathic chickens leave no traces.
Date:
Thu, 30 Apr 1998 11:06:14 EDT

> Also, BP will never achieve greatness as a listserv without spellchecking,
>  like the big guys.    Your move, ]{en.
>
>  Signed,
>
>  Lurker

Dear #urkey,

I was under the impression that the BP preservationeers were attempting to
recreate an historic mode of composition similar to the American colonial
states in which each individual spelled, wriggled, or Capitalized words
whatever way occured that day. The Americans seem to have gotten big, and
interesting, without too much difficulty despite bad spelling. As well,
considering the global implications of the I-way media it seems appropriate
that grammatical confusion would abound when individuals having a non-English
native language would express themselves in English. I find the variations
refreshing, and we should allow people to feel comfortable expressing
themselves even if it does look sloppy at times. Do we prefer a grammar that
confines our expressions, or a grammar that gives us energy to keep
communicating? Is language static, or is it fluid and dynamic? What may be
most important is the ideas, which I believe should be allowed to flow without
too much oppression. The nice thing about a word processor, besides spell
checking, is that it decreases the obstructions between brain and recording
device. A pencil works as well, but the erasure on a word processor is swift
and usually untraced. Too many rules? When I read Aristotle's _Poetics_ my
poetry gets stiff (I'll post some later as an example), enough that it should
get no response even from HS students. Most of the time I try to control my
spelling within the norms that my editor enforces upon my consiousness.
Joining the BIG guys? I found a list with 100,000 subscribers and had the
sense to *not* add my address. My spell checker sometimes goes haywire, as
well as the computer which serves it. Nevertheless, the e-mail can always be
edited. I think the Titanic and the Hindenberg were big. Langley, who probably
could spell fairly well, had a big budget from the Smithsonian, and the Wright
brothers - how was their spelling? I'd like to see an article on the spelling
and penmanship abilities of McKim, Mead & White. That would be a curiousity.

Your move.

][<en