Condense Mail Headers

Sender:
From:
"James P. Fisher" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 2 Sep 1998 11:24:02 -0400
I think you're right "on base."  Applying the "stone and spear" concept to
determine what our paleolithic forebearers could or could not have eaten
should not be taken as a CATEGORICAL IMPERATIVE on what WE should or should
not be eating.  Rather, it should be used as a way of encouraging us to do
more serious thinking on the advisability of some modern-day foods that
we'd otherwise take for granted.

And by "thinking," I DON'T mean somebody's simplistic pronouncement on
whether a food-in-question is considered "paleo" or not -- or debates over
whether somebody who chooses to include that food (small amounts of rice,
for instance) can "legitimately" be said to be following a paleo lifestyle.

In my case, I avoid all dairy products because of the substantial mucus
they cause me.  I also avoid most grains because I tend to be sensitive to
them.  Rice doesn't bother me, though, and I include small amounts of it
(especially my favorite, wild rice) in my diet, as well as chickpeas and
black beans.  I haven't noticed any problems so far, nor do I anticipate
any.

Let's make sure the paleo principles remain guidelines only, and not
gospel.

Jim