BULLAMANKA-PINHEADS Archives

BULLAMANKA-PINHEADS@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Kevin Daly <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
BP - Dwell time 5 minutes.
Date:
Mon, 14 Dec 1998 18:12:00 -0500
I spent a couple of weeks in Ireland this summer, and was surprised and
saddened by the number of cookie-cutter American-looking suburban houses
going up all over the place-- most right next to the old thatched cottages
that were obviously no longer the primary residence, if occupied at all.

On the other hand, touristy enjoyment of the quaint won't get you very far
through a west coast Irish winter, when a house with cheap central
heating can be had.  It did seem as though the locals I talked were
interested in shedding their image as a pretty backwater, and it seemed a
lot to ask them to continue for our benfit.

All the same, I told my dad (half-Irish, but has never been there) to get
there in the next couple of years, before it's gone.

Plenty to say about the architecture of that trip, but that's the memory
that I have.

Kevin "The kids in Dublin were drinking Budweiser, for pete's sake" Daly

<ker-snip>