BULLAMANKA-PINHEADS Archives

BULLAMANKA-PINHEADS@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Michael Davidson <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
BP - Dwell time 5 minutes.
Date:
Sun, 13 Dec 1998 06:41:26 EST
Michael; You may be interested to know the scottish Master mason Ian Cramb;
now lives in this country...
.he was flown over to this country in the 50's and early sixties to work on
the US capital ( he set the stone which the presidents take their oath )
after completing the restoration of Sterling Castle and the Early Christian
Abbey on the Holy Isle of Iona ( where book of Kells was started) He was
recieved by the Queen.
He is a 5th generation Master Mason; and knows or knows of many of the
scottish masons who came before him to work on the cloisters or say on the
Chrysler building.
His great grandfathers stone tools are in the Smithsonian;..his work takes him
all over the world .he.. just finished building Eric Claptons house and estate
in the Caribeane all done in the Scottish random rubble style ( a very
difficult style of building )
 and will be  in Stone World some time soon. He is a very modest man with a
leprechan sence of humour;
 when intoduced to Eric Clapton...after shaking hands; said Im sorry mr.
Clapton "but I dun -a- noe hugh you errr"  It is said Mr. Clapton liked that .
 Ian gives a great slide show and lecture to craftsmen and architects; He is
my mentor and teacher;and had him lecture at St. John and West Point..
 when I was asked to look at Mercury on top of Grand Central Station I had Ian
on my team because he was around the installation of alot of large scale
public sculpture of similar scale . He lives with his wife Betty and son John
and grand children in the stone country of Bangor Pa. E mail  me privately
should you like to contact him. Michael