BULLAMANKA-PINHEADS Archives

BULLAMANKA-PINHEADS@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Leland Torrence <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
BP - Dwell time 5 minutes.
Date:
Fri, 11 Dec 1998 07:23:09 -0500
Anne,
Thank you for the call out.  Our home base is central Connecticut and we do
not get to the big city or any big city much.  The masons that are working
on the building want to know more about the masons that originally built the
building.  Additionally we are all curious about the pink pointing mortar.
The question is whether the pink was added at the time of the addition in
1892 (Grovesnor Atterbury) or was part of the original design spec. by
Richard Morris Hunt, the original Architect.  There are many letters in the
archives, from both architects and members of the building committee, but
never any mention of color. We have even found the original specifications
books for the carpenters and heating contractors, but curiously no masonry
book.
Best,
Leland