RAW-FOOD Archives

Raw Food Diet Support List

RAW-FOOD@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Robert W. Avery <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 20 Dec 1996 00:14:46 EST
Hello again, Axel.

Our journeys continue to parallel.  Last winter I decided to save money
by growing lots of sprouts, not 2 lbs / day, as you say you want, but
more than 1 lb/ day.  After 4-5 months of eating like this, I noticed a
bump growing on my left palm about an inch below the ring finger.  I took
this to be either caused by the sprouts or all the seaweed I was eating.
I cut out the seaweed, but no change.  I then went on my fast.  It shrank
a little, but didn't disappear.  I still have it.  There are known to be
toxins in some sprouts, including alfalfa and radish, which I was eating
a lot of.  I was also eating a lot of red clover, and some lentil, mung,
buckwheat, and a few others.  The safest sprouts are said to be buckwheat
and sunflower, so if you plan to eat lots of sprouts, make these be the
majority.  I think the lentil and mung are pretty safe too.  Anyway,
there seem to be hazards even with sprouts.

For technique, you can use either jars or trays with dirt.  I never tried
the tray method, so i have no experience there.  (See an Ann
Wigmore/Hippocrates book for assistance.)  With jars, you just put a
couple oz of seeds in the jar, cover with water overnight (or for 4-5
hours), then drain and rinse.  You could drain them into a strainer, but
it's easier to have special lids for your jars with a wire mesh top so
the sprouts stay ing the jar when you drain and rinse.  (Or cover the jar
opening with cheesecloth and a rubber band.)  Then you store the jar
upside down at an angle (about 45 degrees-60 degrees) --- a dish drainer
is good for this --- and rinse 2-3 times a day (so they stay damp).
After 5-7 days, they are fully mature and ready to eat (or you could eat
them sooner if they taste better to you that way).  Since they take 5-7
days to mature, if you want sprouts every day you must start a new batch
every day until you have 5-7 jars going at once.  Then you eat from the
ripest jar and immediately refill it with new seeds.  A couple oz. of
seeds will make more than a lb of sprouts, so the jars should be big
enough to accommodate.

The best thing about sprouts is that they are the cheapest food on the
planet, even including junk foods, and they are full of life and enzymes
(and sometimes toxins).

Bob Avery ([log in to unmask])