From:
David Gillett <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 27 Oct 1998 11:00:46 -0800
On 26 Oct 98 at 19:24, David Hillhouse wrote:

> My Tyan BX board came with hard drive drivers. What do I do with
> these hard drive drivers ? I have owned every processor since the
> XT and I have never had hard drive drivers.  (also never had a scsi
> drive) Do I need to install the drivers to run my drive Ultra DMA ?
> I am running Win 95.

  Win95 came with default drivers for chipset features that were
current when it was released.  Since then, new chipsets have been
introduced supporting bus-mastering to improve performance; the
default Win95 drivers know nothing about that.
  In theory, you could install these drivers and see a boost in hard
drive I/O.  In practice, some CD-ROM drives don't like this, and
reverting to the standard drivers seems to be inordinately difficult.
So I'd say that if you aren't sure what they are, you should probably
ignore them.

David G

                                  -----