From:
Dave Souza <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 21 Sep 1998 17:49:05 -0400
The US Robotics Winmodem 1125 03 was originally sold as 28.8k and later as
33.6k.  This model is flash upgradable to x2 56k v.90.  Depending upon when
you purchased it, you may be eligible for a free upgrade.  Otherwise it's
$60 US.

Either way, you can go to the 3COM site and download the Modem Upgrade
Wizard, connect to their site via this application and it will download the
code and upgrade your modem for you.

In the interim, if you have the original disks that came with the modem, you
can try to reinstall it.  As you point out, Windows will continue to
recognize it as it is currently installed until you clean the Windows
registry.  USR provides a utility to clean the registry for you.

The utility is called WMREGCLN.EXE.  You should be able to obtain it from
the 3COM site.  Once run it will clean your registry of any mention of the
Winmodem.  When you restart the computer, Windows will redetect the modem
and ask you to supply the appropriate driver disk.  Use your original disks
that came with the modem.

Let us know how it turns out,
Dave Souza