From:
Bob Wright <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 23 Aug 1998 09:01:50 -0600
At 05:48 AM 8/23/98 , you wrote:
>Hi all
>I'm looking to upgrade my display card and I'd like to know what (if any) limitations my monitor
would impose on the new card ie. I don't want to spend money on a good card and find I
can only use
75% of it's features because of a low-end monitor.
>My monitor is an Acer 33D 14", 0.28 dot, vert. freq. 50-100 Hz, up to 1024x768/86Hz.
>I'm using an old Cirrus Logic 5420 ISA with (I think)
>512kb memory.
>PCI 66Mhz motherboard with Pentium 133.
>I'm running Win 95 and will use the card mostly for Windows 2D, although I would like
some sort of
basic 3D ability for games. Most important to me is picture sharpness and display speed,
although I
know the card alone is not responsible for these. Amount of colours is less important.
>All advice welcome
>Marc Guise

Marc,

Based on the specifications you have posted about your monitor it would appear
to support a fairly good video card.   I would recommend looking at the STB PCI
Velocity 128 card.   This is a 2D/3D card with 4mgs of ram.   It is a very fast card,
the drivers for Win95 are stable and since the price has dropped to just over
$60, it is an excellent value.    In the PCI cards, this card was ranked as one of
the fastest on the market.

You can find some excellent buys on this card at Price Watch:
     http://www.pricewatch.com./

BOB WRIGHT  -   The NOSPIN GROUP
   [log in to unmask]   -   http://nospin.com
Listserv Owner   PCBUILD : PCSOFT : PC-MS : VPLANETS
                             PCBLDFAQ : PC-PDA : I-GAMES