From:
Mark Rode <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 22 Jul 1998 09:57:40 -0700
 Fluorescent  lamps use a ballast which will emit a magnetic field that can
distort a monitor picture or a radio transmission however this is the first
time I have heard of a ballast actually damaging a monitor. A halogen light
does not require a transformer although a twelve volt transformer is often
used for energy efficiency.
It is always a good idea to keep any devices that produce a magnetic fields
a foot or so away from your monitor to avoid picture distortion.
Mark