From:
"T. Martin" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 19 Aug 1998 13:24:59 -0700
Aaron Sugarman wrote:
> << Yes, I'm pretty certain that's correct. Enzymes (organic catalysts) are
>  proteins, and are destroyed by digestion. It's basically impossible to
>  obtain any health benefit from ingesting enzymes, even if those same
>  enzymes are very beneficial when operating normally in your body. >>
>
> I'm sorry but that's not the case.

Well, ok. I'm willing to stand corrected.

> I'll give you an example, my health
> dramatically improved when I began eating raw foods rather than cooked.  My
> aunt's health greatly improved when she added digestive enzymes to her cooked
> meals.  I just read an article in my local paper the other day about two dogs
> with hip dysplaxia who healed after several weeks of using enzyme supplements
> in their regular food.

Certainly intriguing, but I'd be looking for a little more evidence.

> Research suggests that eating enzymatically active food spares the pancreas as
> the pancreas triples in size when people and animals eat primarily cooked
> food.  <snip>
> And research suggests that the small intestine DOES absorb any enzymes not
> lost in digestion.

Can you point me to this research?

> Try living on a raw food diet and compare.

No, thanks. Of course, for this little experiment to stand a chance of
demonstrating anything, I'd have to make the raw food diet identical to
the cooked food diet, in all ways except the cooking.