Date:
Tue, 18 Aug 1998 15:23:46 -0400
This probably doesn't belong on a paleofood support list but I thought that this
message should be responded to.  Sorry.

Aaron Sugarman wrote:

> I'm planning a Processed and Packaged Foods Tax.  Basically tax foods that

The idea of ANY tax is bad.  Even the lowest bracket of tax in this country pays
over 50% of their income in taxes.  Though I know your intentions are good I do
not agree with this as a viable option.  I believe in increasing awareness but not
a tax.  Besides, since almost all of the food in this country is processed, you
wouldn't stand a chance in hell with a processed and packaged foods tax.

> by the name of Kelly Brownell at Yale who has been proposing a Bad Food' tax
> idea that was voted of the best 12 ideas (or some #) for this country by US

I may be wrong but I think this is the guy that wants a tax on foods based on fat
content.  Not a paleo friendly tax at all.

> I basically want to tax enzymatically inactive foods, and use the revenue to
> fund educational programs to raise awareness on eating natural foods, as well

    We are spending way too much on 'programs' already.  We don't need any more
programs, as this is not the purpose of government.  Is there anything that the
government does well?  I mean besides take your money at the point of a gun via
the IRS.    Maybe you should think along the lines of a non-profit organization.
Raise money through donations.  Develop an education program and present it to
school systems.  It would probably be much easier than trying to pass a tax on
processed foods.