From:
Todd Moody <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 12 Aug 1998 13:33:23 -0400
On Wed, 12 Aug 1998, Michael Audette wrote:

> You say you eat "Meat, nuts, and fruit", which doesn't sound very "Natural"
> to me. In nature, vegetables are much more common than nuts or fruit. I have
> tried to materna my diet to approximately 1/3 meat/fat, lots of vegetables,
> and fruit/nuts. I try to keep the amount of fruit down to 15-20%.

Nature is a big place.  My fruit consumption is probably less
than yours; my consumption of nuts is higher.

My premise is that fats are a good source of energy, but the fats
in domestic meats are dangerously adulterated.  They are depleted
of w-3 fatty acids, and over-supplied with w-6 and saturated
fats, as a result of being fattened on corn and steroids.  In
short, these fats aren't "natural."  So I choose lean meats and
use nuts for my source of fats.  This is modeled on what the
!Kung do.  I eat salads all the time, but the caloric
contribution of salad vegetables to my overall intake is trivial.

Vegetables are more common, but far less calorically dense than
nuts and fruit.  Nuts are about the most calorically dense foods
found in nature, with the exception of pure animal fat.  Because
of this density, a small amount of nuts provides a large amount
of energy.  For this reason, paleo people would seize every
opportunity to gather and eat nuts.  They are also very low carb
and low glycemic.

Todd Moody