From:
Rick Strong <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 3 Aug 1998 18:38:37 -0400
Todd Moody wrote:

> To my way of thinking, Neanderthin is a *theory*.  It is a theory
> that makes a lot of sense, and explains a lot of data.  Like many
> other theories, however, it also appears to be in conflict with
> some of the data.  When this happens it is important to pay close
> attention, to see whether the theory needs to be modified.  To do
> otherwise is to turn the theory into an ideology.
>
> Todd Moody

Well stated, Todd.  Many of us are struggling to make intelligent choices
from among the incredibly complex information that is so available these
days but often difficult to digest and reconcile.    You and several others
on the list have done an amazing amount of reading for the rest of us.
Neanderthin's premise is genius in its logic and simplicity but there is
much in the paleo reconstruction that is theory and conjecture subject to
revision and refinement.  There is a tremendous amount of intelligence on
this list and the debate is interesting and healthy.  Rick