NO-MILK Archives

Milk/Casein/Lactose-Free List

NO-MILK@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Kathryn M Przywara <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 3 Apr 2000 19:16:36 -0700
On Mon, 3 Apr 2000 20:08:40 EDT E Coloura <[log in to unmask]> writes:
> My son too has cow's and soy milk protein. We're on Neocate for now.
But, the
> day he turns a year is less than two months away. Then we'll do a
challenge.
> I dread the day.

Challenge of what??  Why do doctors think this is some magical day when
they hit 1 year??

The advice I'd been given was to challenge after 6 months or more of
strict avoidance and no reactions - but mine didn't have a positive skin
test either.  The only way to tell if there was a change was to do a
challenge.  We usually had some minor infraction along the way that told
me she was still intolerant of the foods we knew about.  Most of the
stuff we determined the intolerance through the breastmilk, and the
allergist recommended we just avoid until she was at least 2 in order to
let her bowel heal, then try again.  Plus she developed nasal allergies
which made it impossible to tell a challenge reaction from an
environmental coincidence.  At age 3 she's finally becoming less
sensitive.

Kathy P.

Juno now offers FREE Internet Access!
http://dl.www.juno.com/get/tagj.