NO-MILK Archives

Milk/Casein/Lactose-Free List

NO-MILK@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Carrie Micko <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 1 Mar 2000 14:56:04 -0600
<BREAD....I can't find a safe bread.....it's not that they all contain
milk...but most don't say what they contain....
Hope someone can help
Susan>

Susan, have you considered making your own? It's really not that hard, and
I've even figured out how to make overnight bread. Or the simplest is to get
a breadmaker. I only make whole wheat bread, and "by hand" turns out better,
but breadmaker bread is not bad. Actually, sometimes I've mixed, kneaded and
risen the bread in the bread maker and then baked it in the oven and it
turns out as good as "by hand". In my first breadmaker, the largest loaf was
1 1/2 pounds, and we'd eat it too fast (family of 6) so I was constantly
making it. I finally ordered an extra pan (not cheap, but worth the
convenience) and would mix up two loaves at a time and bake them in the
breadmaker in succession. I've also seen breadmakers that do two loaves at a
time, but not recently. Anyway, it is one way to really know what is in your
bread. And if you want a REALLY great loaf, get Prairie Gold white whole
wheat berries and grind them yourself just before baking. (Can you tell l
like gadgets and appliances?) You'll be hardpressed to find a better loaf.
It doesn't even need extra gluten. And use olive oil or sunflower oil in
place of butter in the recipes.
Carrie