NO-MILK Archives

Milk/Casein/Lactose-Free List

NO-MILK@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Mark Feblowitz <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 16 Dec 1999 14:51:38 -0500
Just a couple at the moment:

         http://www.nutritionsciencenews.com/NSN_backs/Aug_98/arthritis.html

         http://www.vitaminbuzz.com/Concern/Rheumatoid_Arthritis.htm

Unfortunately, most of the web resources tend toward the "alternative
medicine" angle, which is ok but tends to undercut some people's confidence
in the veracity of the link. I understand that there are a few reliable
studies published in the eighties (e.g., in the Annals of
Internal  Medicine) supporting the link.

Do note that not all RA is linked to dairy allergy (just like saying that
not all allergies are to pollen).

The only way to definitively confirm that diary is the trigger is to
*religiously* avoid for at least a monthall dairy products in all forms and
amounts (milk, cheese, lactose, whey, casein, ... - even pills, etc., that
contain lactose). If symptoms seem to improve, the dairy-free diet should
be extended. Then, the person will have to make the choice as to which is
worse: a significantly altered diet or nearly intractable pain and
disintegration of joints and connective tissue. To me it was a no-brainer,
although the denial was difficult at first to overcome.

At 01:36 PM 12/16/1999 -0500, you wrote:

>Do you happen to have links to web sites with any info supporting the link
>between dairy and RA?  My 40 aunt recently was diagnosed with RA so bad she
>can't use her hands.  She said she's modifying her diet, but I think she's
>just eating "healthy"  which to some people includes lots of dairy.  I'd
>like to send her some info.

Mark Feblowitz                  [log in to unmask]
Senior Principal MTS                    (781) 466-2947
GTE Laboratories Incorporated   (fax) (781) 466-2618
Waltham, MA 02451                       http://TEC.gte.com/MarkFeblowitz