NO-MILK Archives

Milk/Casein/Lactose-Free List

NO-MILK@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
"Carrie L. Micko" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 24 Feb 1999 10:03:17 -0600
> For just plain spreading, Spectrum Spred is the best/healthiest thing we have
> found.  You cannot cook with it.

I beg to differ! I have searched far and wide for a vegan white cake recipe for
birthdays and experimented for 5 years. I finally tried Spectrum as the fat in the
recipe and it had the best texture you could ask for. Spectrum is a good spread and
works well in baked goods. It does not FRY, however. And it does not melt. I've used
it for baking codfish by blending it with lemon juice before spreading it on the
fish. It still doesn't melt, but it makes a nice, tasty sauce.

Carrie Micko
Author: No Meat, No Milk, NO PROBLEM! (due out this spring)