NO-MILK Archives

Milk/Casein/Lactose-Free List

NO-MILK@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Sue Myers <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 25 Nov 1998 09:14:01 EST

<< Being a woman, at highly at risk for ostioprosis,
 this anti-cow bit gets a bit old.  Women need good sources of calcium.

 Hmmmm...there is an ongoing study at Harvard University with 80,000
 participating nurses.  The latest finding is that dietary calcium plays
 little or no role in preventing osteoporosis.

Very interesting . . . I have been casein allergic for the past 15 years and
haven't had a drop of cow's milk since being diagnosed.  I am 49 years old and
started taking calcium/magnesium/Vitamin D supplements a couple of years after
diagnosis.
Out of curiosity, I had a bone scan done about 6 months ago.  The results came
back showing I had stronger bones than an average 20 year old.  So much for
needing the old cow to make and keep bone!
    My son also had problems with my breast milk until I discovered he was
allergic to dairy products.  After I eliminated them from my diet he felt so
much better and so did I.  This is how I found out I was allergic to milk.  My
son "grew out" of his milk allergy by 12 months of age.  He is now a teenager
who has asthma, but according to his allergist, is not allergic to milk (just
has environmental allergies).  Perhaps the dairy problem willl show up again
later, though I hope not.
    My daughter (aged 10) has not been so lucky.  She was HIGHLY allergic to
dairy from birth. She was breastfed until age 3 .   We thought she outgrew her
cow's milk allergy  at age 4, but it returned at aged 6 and she is still
mildly allergic.  She fights it a lot, but it always wins, unfortunately.
   I must say, the longer we have gotten used to not cooking or eating milk
products, the easier it has become.  I use a lot of Almond Milk in most
recipes (we are also allergic to soy)   It did take a long time to stop
"fighting" the problem and become  constructive about it, but once we changed
our attitude, it seemed to make it a lot easier.