NO-MILK Archives

Milk/Casein/Lactose-Free List

NO-MILK@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

Date:
Fri, 24 Jul 1998 09:53:14 -0600
Hi -

Of all people, I never expected to be asking this sort of question...
being a self-proclaimed expert on milk allergy!  But, a friend of mine
is seeing symptoms of some sort of milk intolerance in her 2-year-old
son.  He gets diarrea if he consumes straight cow's milk.  He is also
a bit cranky if he drinks alot of it.  The symptom is not obviously there
with other milk products.

To me, this is classic lactose intolerance, with the cooked and/or processed
milk being more easily tolerated.  She tried the lactose-reduced milk for
drinking and the symptoms returned.  Their pediatrician says it's probably
milk-allergy, since the lactose-reduced milk didn't work.  I still think it's
not quite like allergy, since he can consume some dairy products.

I've also told her it doesn't really matter what you label it, the "treatment"
plan is the same - avoid it!  She's wondering about skin/blood tests to confirm
an allergy.

Does anybody have any ideas on figuring out which it is?  Or, if it's really
important to do so?

Thanks - Laurie (and Alyssa, still allergic at "almost 4!")