NO-MILK Archives

Milk/Casein/Lactose-Free List

NO-MILK@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Kathryn M Przywara <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 9 Mar 1998 08:50:52 -0800
On Mon, 9 Mar 1998 10:45:41 -0500 Nancy Weir <[log in to unmask]>
writes:
>On Sat, 7 Mar 1998 20:37:19 -0500 Crystal Siegel wrote:
>
>> Personal preference. and mainly because I haven't found
>any substitutes that give me that butter flavor.  Do you
>know something I don't?
>
>If you switched you would probably miss it a lot for a year
>and then not miss it so much.  Well, at least that has been
>my experience.  I use Margarine in everything now.  I
>confess I sneak nibbles of shortbread at Christmas though.

I still miss REAL butter, but live with margarine for the time being.
I've tried a bunch of different ones, but keep coming back to the Nucoa
brand - sticks and tub.  It's fries the best of the ones I've tried and
bakes pretty well.  Sometimes it is a bit strong, so I tend to use less
than I would of butter.  Also, it doesn't bind things quite the same as
butter.  So for sauces and stuff, I use less otherwise things tend to
just be oily on top.

One thing I've done is to substitue olive oil for a lot of things I used
to use butter for - especially sauteeing.  For me, it's an easier
adjustment to "change" a dish than to try to find a substitute that will
make it "just the same".  In other words, now I'm expecting a different
taste and am not as dissapointed when the butter flavor is not there.

I do admit that I hardly ate any corn on the cob last summer because
that's just not the same when it's not dripping with butter!
Kathy

Or call Juno at (800) 654-JUNO [654-5866]