NO-MILK Archives

Milk/Casein/Lactose-Free List

NO-MILK@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Leslie Beachwood <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 17 Jan 1998 08:46:56 -0800
Thanks to those who responded to my inquiry. No one seems to have direct
experience with soy intolerance persistance over time, but there were
several good suggestions as to other allergies to look into, especially
house dust and mold. I had not thought of non-food sources before. My
daughter often has a runny nose without fever, especially in winter, but
I just put it down to cold aftermath or prequel. I guess allergy testing
is the next step, if I can talk my balky pediatrician into it *and*
figure out the ELISA and RAST maze.

We don't currently have a pet, but are considering a dog. In fact we're
going to a dog show today. I thought a good 2-3 hour dose of exposure to
dogs would be a good precaution to make sure no one in the family
reacted allergically. . Can anyone tell me what to look for as far as
common pet allergy symptoms? Is it mainly itchy eyes and sneezing/runny
nose, or are there others?

Re: Cerise Lody's troubles, my heart goes out to you. Please persist in
your efforts to get well. I think the most discouraging part of food
intolerance isn't the condition but the universal disbelief and
sometimes hostility you often get from the medical profession, never
mind family and friends.

One other thought occurred to me; have you been tested for hypoglycemia
and/or diabetes? The crash-and-burn fatigue after meals sounds very
familiar to me, as it's something my hypoglycemic mother suffers from. I
have had it too, especially after high-sugar meals (both brothers and my
father had diabetes so we have a family problem with sugar metabolism,
apparently).  I went through a period in my early 20s where if I had a
doughnut for lunch I'd actually fall asleep in my office! Not good for
the career. Fortunately I figured out the cause and cut it out before it
caused irreparable harm. Eating little refined sugar and more complex
carbohydrates instead of refined white flour might help you, as it did
me.

Good luck,

Leslie Beachwood