NO-MILK Archives

Milk/Casein/Lactose-Free List

NO-MILK@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
cerise lody <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 14 Jan 1998 08:44:23 -0000
I have been reading a lot of what you guys are writing and some of it has
helped me a lot. I am American living in London and sometimes this is my
only sorts of information about lactose free products.  Unfortunately they
are mostly sold in the States.  But still it is good to know.
I only found out that I am lactose intolerance about 4 years ago. After
losing a lot of weight and being sick all the time.  The doctors first put
my system down to the separation of my marriage.  But being the divorce was
on friend term (my ex-husband is my best friend) it couldn't be that. I am
small frame anyway I weighted only 7stones( that is 98 lbs.) at the time.
I would get so ill that I could not eat anything but I was always hungry.
It was only when I sat and cried in the doctor office and show my skeleton
frame that they decide to do something about. They took numerous test on me
for about 11/2 years before they told me that I was lactose intolerance.  I
have never heard of it.  They told me that it was something that only
happened with Blacks, Asians and Orientals.  I was told to come off of all
diary products immediately.  I started  feeling better slowly but then I
started losing weight again.  Again I call the doctor who saw me at once
and was very angry that the dietitian took me off of everything at once and
disregarded my small frame. I have now been in instructed that I am to
monitor my eating habit eating some diary but when my system start to
return come off of it.  I know that this sound strange but I couldn't get
any more information about what I have.

I am now seeing a guy who has almost the same system as I have.  But when
he went to the doctor here they told him that because he is White he can
not be lactose intolerance like me.  They just told him to eat more.  He
get headaches and abdominal to the point of tears.  He get nauseous and
very drowsy.  He
has just started a new job and sometimes after eating he is so tired that
he loses at least 4 hours a day. When we went to the doctor two weeks ago
the doctor told us that it was normal to feel tired after eating and not to
worry.  At that point I  cried and started to yell saying that something
has to be done. The English medical law seem to be that you can't get any
help without being refer by your doctor. They are now starting test I hope
something will be done soon.  Your information has help me a lot especially
Theresa's recipes.  We don't have the products that is widely available in
the States so sometimes you have to make do with what you have and suffer a
little.  Thanks again for your information.