NO-MILK Archives

Milk/Casein/Lactose-Free List

NO-MILK@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Leslie Beachwood <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 15 Jan 1998 10:53:47 -0800
Hi, List,

I've been a member for some time but lurking lately. I took my whole
family *largely* off dairy a year ago (we aren't anaphylactic so I've
been slow about eliminating hidden sources like bread, tomato paste,
carmel coloring, etc. They also have the occasional slice of pizza.)

While my children are much better, my 4 year old daughter still sports
huge black circles under her eyes most days, so something is still
upsetting her system. I'm thinking about eliminating gluten, though the
prospect is really daunting. I'm also wondering about soy. My son didn't
tolerate regular or soy formula as an infant.

Based on my own lifelong problems with dairy , I now don't believe milk
allergy/intolerance can be outgrown, but what about soy? Tofutti is the
only ice cream substitute my children like (they can't stand frozen Rice
Dream). We don't eat much soy otherwise, but as I'm trending more in a
vegetarian direction I don't want to get them to like a food I might
later have to eliminate.

Also I've read some comments on the list that seem to indicate gluten
intolerance and food allergies are linked, and once the gut has had time
to heal some allergies can disappear. Has anyone has experience with
this? I'd appreciate your feedback, plus input from anyone who has
experience with milk/soy intolerance in kids. Thanks.

Leslie Beachwood