BULLAMANKA-PINHEADS Archives

BULLAMANKA-PINHEADS@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Ken Follett <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
BP - Dwell time 5 minutes.
Date:
Wed, 16 Dec 1998 11:18:00 EST
In a message dated 12/15/98 11:24:12 AM Eastern Standard Time,
[log in to unmask] writes:

> The 89 signifies that despite a no-lurker policy it is not enforced.
>
>  Not necessarily.  When I looked over the list of subscribers, a lot of the
>  names were familiar.  We could probably run statistics, but I suspect that
>  the majority have posted *something* to the list.

The truth is I was trying to limit the subscriber base to 69. :)

Larry,

Actually, you are fairly correct here. As one of several list owners I
consider that anyone who responds positive to BP by any means, including phone
conversations, snail mail or over lunch is participatory in the community from
my perspective and therefore I do not see any one of the current subscribers
as lurkers. We have several owners and their policy or attitude toward lurking
is as good as my own. Each owner has the ability to add/remove from the
subscriber list. Each subscriber has the access to know who is on the list.
Some owners were made "silent" out of a concern to limit an excess of
maintenance messages.

I do encourage everyone to speak up on BP for four reasons. 1. Those who have
been speaking feel more comfortable for knowing who they may be talking in
front of. This is a simple courtesy that I consider important in a climate
where some of us may do business in the real world, despite the no-business
stance of BP, and are concerned not to be misunderstood or thought less of to
the detriment of our livelihoods. (I very much enjoyed the peyote stories.) 2.
BP is an experiment in virtual community and the result is no more, or less,
than what we all care to contribute. 3. It is only by taking the risk to
embarass ourselves, by honestly being ourselves, that we can come to know each
other for the people that we are. 4. I think we all have some really neat
things to share and we should not hide our unique individuality out of fear.
Let there be no fear, and if there is, please help me to remove it.

I am quite serious about not allowing flame wars, despite the micro-wave paint
removal experiments. It is my intent, and has been my intent all along, to
make enough of a bungling fool of myself that everyone else will feel
comfortable to participate, though possibly less foolishly than I. I can say
that, as the greatest fool, the BP shaman, that I am quite sensitive to the
content and participation on BP and consider that there is not one subscriber
that I feel uncomfortable with. If there were, and if I felt that others were
uncomfortable, then I can assure you that I have a zero tolerance for any
threat to the good nature of BP. I do not always find my role here easy (god
knows) and quite often wonder what the detriment will be of my more daring
messages. In general I have to admit that the results, for me at least, have
been very rewarding in the sense of feeling that I have a responsibility to be
a good citizen and that the rewards far outweigh the anxiety.

][<en Follett