BULLAMANKA-PINHEADS Archives

BULLAMANKA-PINHEADS@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

BP - Dwell time 5 minutes.
Date:
Sat, 12 Dec 1998 00:22:52 -0500
As early as the 1860s there were patents for cast stone archtectural
elements, so it is certainly possible that these columns are cast stone.
The nature of stone carving is such that even using the same design there
will be subtle differences.  This can be seen on a single building where
several carvers carved the same detail (foliate cornice for example, each
carver working a 5 foot long section).  for the same detail to show up on
different buildings, I would say there is a better than average chance that
is a cast stone product (assuming it's not unglazed terra cotta, which I'm
sure you would recognize since it doesn't look like stone up close.)
Michael