BULLAMANKA-PINHEADS Archives

BULLAMANKA-PINHEADS@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
David Dauerty <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
BP - Dwell time 5 minutes.
Date:
Sun, 6 Dec 1998 12:33:15 EST
Hello All,
        I guess this means my lurking days are officially over.  My name is David
Dauerty.  I am a timber framer specializing in traditional conversion and
construction methods (hewing, riving, scribe joinery, etc.).
        Ken cuts right to the quick in his commentary on the perception and
consequent treatment of the tradesperson in the preservation field, as well as
the general market.  I have spent my entire career in the trades doing
everything I possibly could to glean new and old information from every
available source so that I can offer as broad a base as possible to the
client.  I come from a background of Ivy League caliber higher education,
experience in engineering technical work, and unparalleled experience working
in itinerant situations to learn from "outside the box."  This varied
background and experience is more the norm than the exception in my field and
in preservation trades in general from what I've seen.
        It rankles me beyond description to be regarded as some dullard who, for lack
of any other higher skill or motivation, was plunked into trade school in an
attempt to prevent me from becoming a burden to society.  I have spent way
more time, effort and money at greater personal sacrifice to learn what I know
than the average degree-toting "professional."  I know this all sounds like
the bitter ranting of a disillusioned expatriate, but I feel well justified in
my strong view.
        A few years ago, I was called in on a job to reconstruct a very large
steeple.  The general contractor had a brother who was a licensed architect.
This brother was recently retired from a civil service position where he
managed an office full of architects.  According to the GC his brother had not
actually exercised his training since graduating from college.  The steeple
stood on four main posts.  Three of the posts were so rotten that I could
reach inside their 14" by 14" shells and drag out potting soil and earthworms.
The top of the spire was 18" off plumb in one axis and 36" off plumb in
another.  This architect insisted that the imminent failure of the steeple,
standing since the 1860s, was due to structural inadequacy rather than to
advanced rot and water infiltration.  He wanted to truss the new steeple
timber frame like a Thanksgiving turkey with all sorts of aircraft cable and
stainless steel rods.  Fortunately, the GC had the good sense to dismiss his
brother after several pitched battles.  We faithfully reproduced the original
framing and improved the flashing, etc.  Another victory for the trades.
        I suppose the thing that plagues me and peeves me the most as I blunder
through this world is the arrogance of the current generations.  People seem
to think that four to eight years spent studying in an institution are a
suitable substitute for the 50,000 years of amassed knowledge of their
predecessors on the planet.  Classical design and construction are derived
from careful observation of the natural order and rhythm of the universe.  The
fact that the classical styles look pleasing to the eye and perform well over
time is a testament to the notion that they are derived from the natural order
rather than in spite of it.  It is unspeakably arrogant to assume that any of
us have any substantially new ideas.  Those who think they do would be well
advised to talk to those of us who learn from the combined experience of all
who came before us.
                                                                                                THAT IS ALL,
                                                                                                                D J DAUERTY