BULLAMANKA-PINHEADS Archives

BULLAMANKA-PINHEADS@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Ken Follett <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
BP - His DNA is this long.
Date:
Mon, 27 Jul 1998 12:31:25 EDT
In a message dated 7/27/98 1:20:02 AM Eastern Daylight Time,
[log in to unmask] writes:

<< The question has to be asked how many of the countless botched projects,
 new construction and HP, that we all run across all the time, got to that
 sorry state because of the incompetence or negligence of craftspeople? >>

If we intend craftsperson to mean someone that knows their craft, and not to
allow it to be diluted with the "butchers", then very little relationship
exists. Mostly it has to do with screwed up thinking that precedes the
craftsperson's involvement. Poor project management, poor design. Sometimes
too many chiefs fighting for pissing turf. Can't deny though, there are
butchers and a distinction should be made that they are not to be considered
craftspeople. The argument I hear often is that in Europe they would not let
these untrained idiots near the work. Who makes the decision to apply
inexperienced workers to any task?

When I worked at the salt mine there was a steel loading tower built next to
the track. It had a large conveyor running up to it from below the salt mill.
The idea is that the salt cars would run by gravity down to the tower where
they would be braked, and then loaded from a tower hopper. The entire
structure was erected with very good craftsmanship (not mine, I was too busy
blowing up bedrock) and it looked very impressive. When the tower was all
finished they ran a few cars past it and ripped large holes in the sides of
the cars. Seems the tower was built a few feet too close to the track. Though
a survey crew did the original layout, management would have been alert to
double check the layout. Measure thrice, cut once. I don't remember how it
turned out 'cause I got fired after I was spotted hiding in some upper
girders, during work hours, reading Howl.

][<en