RAW-FOOD Archives

Raw Food Diet Support List

RAW-FOOD@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

Condense Mail Headers

Date:
Tue, 18 May 1999 08:34:53 -1000
From:
Nieft / Secola <[log in to unmask]>
Stefan:
>Hi Kirt,
>
>reading the archives of raw-food I found a post from Deborah Boyar
>dealing with a mercury intoxication of Manis and Ano from Hawaii, by their
>huge fish consumption.
>Well, when we discussed this on raw-food, I said that I couldn't grasp
>the reason for such an eating pattern. Ano claimed it was instinctive and
>he just needed the fish every week.

Why would you doubt that? Many people are attracted to much more RAF
than
the current "politically correct" 10% figure given by Burger.

>So is it possible that the toxins in the fish fooled his instinct (and that
>of Manis as well) and made the fish overly attractive? And this from some
>micrograms of mercury? It is hard to believe that.

I find that hard to believe as well. What is clear is that their
"instinct"
did NOT protect them from the toxic levels of mercury.

>Another guess is, that the food supply on Hawaii is so poor, speaking for
>an instinctive eater, that people consumed too much of certain available
>foods, in this case fish. I met a woman here in Germany who told me that
>virtually all foods that were readily available in Pangaia were coconuts.

There are a few hundred fruit trees coming into bearing age at
Pangaia. And
they are expanding the gardens.

>And that Manis was eating all the day long (would be explainable by his
>chronic mercury intoxication - when I was suffering from this I ate huge
>meals and was very tempted to eat all day long).

Well, eating "too much fruit" can also tend to have one eating all
day.
It's kinda hard to comment on second hand info such as this.

>I never found a post about the analysis of the local fish. Did it contain
>unusual amounts of heavy metals?

Yes, very high levels. The local beef had no detectable levels.

>If you think this belongs to raw-food, feel free to post it.

OK. And I will forward it to Manis who has email now.

Cheers,
Kirt

Secola  /\  Nieft