BULLAMANKA-PINHEADS Archives

BULLAMANKA-PINHEADS@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

Condense Mail Headers

Sender:
"BP - Dwell time 5 minutes." <[log in to unmask]>
From:
Mary Krugman <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 4 Jan 1999 11:15:27 EST
In a message dated 1/4/99 8:58:31 AM Eastern Standard Time, [log in to unmask]
writes:

> This is the part of these deals that I really hate.  There are so many
vacant
> parcels in town that were the result of great promises and grand schemes,
> some more than 30 years old.

We have something similar going on here. An applicant is before the planning
board on an outrageously inappropriate development for our 19th - early 20th
century streetscape. Out of scale, inappropriate materials, bad design etc
etc., and the demolition of a wonderful (but white elephantine) post WWII
department store. The applicant is a reputable contracting firm with no idea
of what current business needs are and without marketing savvy.

Even at this late date, they have few tenants, totally a spec proposal.
Another "if you build it, they will come" scheme. Unfortunately, they
misjudged the market on a previous application (a healthcare center, just as
Hillary was putting the final touches on her report...preceding a major fall
out of the healthcare industry). This time, they are counting on the retail
industry -- always a gamble, but an industry now facing oversaturation and
mixed investment returns as Internet and catalogue marketing take over an
increasing market share.

Like Raleigh, are we going to face an empty lot or an ugly empty building on a
main intersection of this small town streetscape? Arg. Vent vent vent....

Mary Krugman
Montclair NJ