BULLAMANKA-PINHEADS Archives

BULLAMANKA-PINHEADS@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

Condense Mail Headers

Sender:
"BP - Dwell time 5 minutes." <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 5 Dec 1998 06:47:15 -0800
7bit
From:
Ken Follett <[log in to unmask]>
Lawrence Kestenbaum wrote:

> Incidentally, it is hugely ironic that we have placed a portrait of Andrew
> Jackson -- an implacable foe of paper money -- on one of our most widely
> circulated bills.

Considering the 60's-70's Rebel-gen baby-boom is now probably peaking on
earn/spend - or at least supporting the current X-gen of younger consumers on
such things as Mad Clown Possies - the figure of Andrew Jackson may be intended
to lend us aging wimps a sense of rebellion for every twenty spent. Ironic? Yes.
I see it as Anne Rand and Big Brother getting together with the Conspiracy of
Twelve to subvert the SDS. Fits my barf meter! What effect does Andy have on the
Black Panthers? An ideal image to fit the Revolution into the Holiday season. But
we must accept, despite any other variations of idealism, that the purpose of the
universe is shopping. Oh, well. Just how many of these things are needed to
purchase a Microsoft product?

Somewhere Ezra Pound, who was fixated on the concept of money, though he usually
had none and it was probably a good thing, presented an example that when the
Romans wanted to improve the quality of their hogs they made a coin with the
image of what they considered a fine hog.  I wonder just what we are supposed to
improve w/ the new twenty? Then again, look at the Post Office & their aggressive
drive to design stamps to sell to collectors... I don't even think they care
about moving the mail with all these newly minted images.

Despite modern Ezra's major faults, he did dig up some strange ideas. It was from
him that I first got the notion that doing craft work with the intention that it
would last 100 years is feasible. This, despite, a current world that seems to
build for a twenty year lifespan.
--
][<en Follett
SOS Gab & Eti -- http://www.geocities.com/~orgrease