BULLAMANKA-PINHEADS Archives

BULLAMANKA-PINHEADS@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

Condense Mail Headers

Sender:
"BP - His DNA is this long." <[log in to unmask]>
From:
Ken Follett <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 4 Sep 1998 10:13:15 EDT
In a message dated 9/4/98 9:11:22 AM Eastern Daylight Time, [log in to unmask]
writes:

>  In construction, whether its preservation
>  or not, a major part of the process is to let others that are in the
>  project based relationship know what is a normal response time and what
>  is not.

I believe a phone call from an active customer who pays their bills without a
hassle should be returned immediatly. Prospective customers within the same
day. Dead leads, whenever time permits. Sometimes it is best to not return
particular phone calls from people who like to waste your time, let them call
again.

I generally expect a response on my submittals to an architect within two
weeks. Sometimes the customer demands the project be expedited and in these
cases I have been known to expect a return on a submittal either while we are
sitting at the table, or within the day. It depends also on how the contract
is written. I believe the cycle of submittal/response should be expedited by
all parties on behalf of the paying customer.

As to handling multiple projects, my customers have let me know many times
that they do not give a damn what other obligations I may have -- they
consider they are paying their bills and expect service. I expect the same
from other professionals. Chit chat, BS, be friendly, but get the business
done without excuses. I hate getting excuses from suppliers, subcontractors or
anyone else. I'll put up with it, but will quickly go elsewhere to do business
when the opportunity presents. I've had to learn to be more considerate on
this expectation of response.

I expect a response on a request for change order within two weeks. If I do
not get a response within that time then I start making noise. After four
weeks I feel it legitimate to slow down or stop the project, depending on the
circomstances.

I expect to be paid on time if the work was properly done on time. If there
were problems with the project then I will let payment slide until all parties
are satisfied. I do not like when getting to the end of a project the customer
wants to renegotiate the price -- here is where I draw the line on BS. If I
lose on a project due to my own stupidity I eat it. If it was an obvious
problem that could not be anticipated, or was not of my doing, then I ask for
more money and more time. I expect those who provide services to me,
particularly if they were given ample opportunity to check their numbers, to
stick to their prices. I do not shop jobs. If I go in with a supplier's price
then I stick with the supplier's price.

I hate retainage and especially dislike 1% held for a year. Retainage is
usually a substantial portion of the profit and sometimes takes the longest,
and is the most difficult to recover.

In NYS we have to file a mechanic's lien within three months of completion. I
have only had to file two liens in 12 years. In both cases the customer never,
at the beginning or the end, had any intention to pay for the work.

][<en