BULLAMANKA-PINHEADS Archives

BULLAMANKA-PINHEADS@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

Condense Mail Headers

Sender:
"BP - His DNA is this long." <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 29 Jul 1998 19:55:21 +0000
7bit
From:
Ken Follett <[log in to unmask]>
Lisa Sasser wrote:

> A friend faxed me an article from the Washington Post concerning the fact that
> Universal Builders Supply Inc., the company that erected the New York
> scaffolding has also been selected to scaffold the Washington Monument.  The
> bidder that finished second for the monument scaffolding has filed a suit in
> federal court (prior to the NYC accident) challenging the way the contract was
> awarded and alleging that the plans as concieved are unsafe.

 I was told about the lawsuit. It seems odd if such a large dollar item ($4M) would
be let in a contract in such manner that only one source, the previously informed
one, would be used. Not much in the way of competition. I get the impression that
the bid documents, or the constrained time alloted for bidding on the project, did
not allow for either alternative methods of scaffolding, or alternative suppliers.
Burying an exclusive monopoly on scaffolding in a competitive bid between GC's would
keep it out of the public eye. I'm curious of the political connections at play
here.
--
][<en Follett
SOS Gab & Eti -- http://www.geocities.com/SoHo/Cafe/5836