From:
L Seyler <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 11 Jan 1999 22:36:41 -0800

Hi all,

        I am new to this list, and to CD.  I hope you'll tolerate a few
initial questions.  Possibly I'll be able to answer them for myself after I
learn where to look, and how to interpret what I read.

        My teenage son has been rather ill - nausea and other, mainly GI
symptoms - for about 10 weeks.  He had a longstanding diagnosis of IBS, and
we were following orders to treat that, but now strongly suspect CD instead
- partly on account of some related family history.   Medical consult,
unfortunately, isn't until next week.

        As part of a compilation from a few days ago, someone posted that
Metamucil causes constipation in Celiacs. Can anyone give me more details on
that?  Is Metamucil GF?  Also, since my son seems to be reacting to a number
of foods, we suspect leaky gut.  We had thought of Lactaid as a way to
possibly keep dairy in his diet for the time being.  Is Lactaid GF?  Also,
are cheeses generally GF?  I'm thinking of grocery store "house brand"
Meunster cheese, in particular.

        Also, is Heinz Ketchup GF?  How about Kraft Honey Catalina salad
dressing?  And what's glutamate?  It sounds suspicious, but is it a problem?

        Thanks in advance for any and all information.  This list is a great
resource!

- Lois in Michigan