From:
Carollee Hayward <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 1 Jan 1999 16:57:43 -0500

Many people have asked for the recipe for the French bread my
brother-in-law made over the holidays.  The chef in SF e-mailed it to
him and he to me so I assume it is OK to share.  All of the ingredients
were purchased bulk at the local health food store.  Manager is a
Celiac.

In electric mixer with paddle attachment combine:

    2 cups brown rice flour
    3/4 cup tapioca flour
    1/4 cup potato starch
    1/4 cup white rice flour
    2/3 cup instant non-fat milk powder
    3-1/4 tsp xanthan gum
    1-1/2 tsp sea salt
    1 Tbs egg replacer
    2 Tbs sugar
    1-2/3 Tbs instant yeast
    1/4 tsp ascorbic acid or 1 Tbs rice vinegar

Add the following and mix on slow  speed for one minute:

    3 egg whites
    1-1/2 cups warm water
Continue mixing on med-high speed for four minutes.

On a greased sheet pan or curved baguette mold, spoon the batter evenly
into a long,smooth loaf.  Brush the tops with

    2 Tbs melted butter

Cut three or four diagonal lines about 1/2 inch deep across the top.
Allow to rise for 35 minutes at room temperature.

Preheat the oven to 350F.  Using a spray bottle mist the breads with
water and bake.  After two minutes spray the breads again.  Repeat once
again in two minutes.  Bake an additional 25 minutes, or till loaves are
golden brown.  Allow loaves to cool for 10 minutes before removing from
forms, then for an additional 30 minutes before eating.

Good Luck!

Carollee in NH