Date:
Tue, 15 Sep 1998 16:35:37 -0700
As it turns out, I didn't have the drive enabled to spin up in SCSI Select.
So David was right, but for a different reason. This leads to my next
question:
How do I configure things so I can boot from this drive? Is this not
possible as long as I have the WD-Caviar drive installed? I was unable to
set any part of the SCSI drive as active, in fdisk, in order to boot to that
drive and make it my main drive and the WD as a back up drive. Doesn't seem
to matter what boot order I have set up in the BIOS. I want to install
System Commander to be able to use LINUX and Win95 SR2, and DOS 6.22. Any
recommendations on partition sizes would also be most appreciated. I asked
this some time ago, but got no response.
Thank you
Brad Loomis

On 14 Sep. 1998 You Said
>If I try to boot with BIOS set as any of the order A,C,SCSI or SCSI,A,C or
>A,SCSI,C the loading stops after I get the SCSI info and the line for the
>IBM drive shows up with a blinking underscore cursor at the end of the line
>and no further activity.
<snip>
And David Replied
>  It sounds like the drive isn't spinning up.  So I'd first check the
>power connection to the drive -- yes, I have seen machines where
>power to the drive never got connected.  I would not put this and the
>WD drive on the same lead from the power supply....
<snip>
>>Rick Stated:
>>1st Guess: Auto Spin-Up Jumper isn't set correctly,
>>On IBM drives there is a jumper for setting the Auto Spin up, if this
>>isn't
>>set then the drive will wait for a start command from the controller. You
>>have to be careful because on some IBM drives this Jumper is "Enable Auto
>>Spin-Up" and on others it's "Disable Auto Spin-Up"

>>2nd Guess: David is right

                                  -----
       **Need help with PCBUILD mailing list? Send an Email to:**