From:
Bob Wright <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 11 Sep 1998 18:38:14 -0600
I have seen this many times and it has been reported he often.   The
problem is most likely in the hardware, (you should have told us about
your hardware).  Usually it is caused by a non-Intel CPU.   The easiest
work around for this problem, just to get the operating system installed,
is to open your BIOS and change the CMOS settings for your Ram
memory, increasing the wait states to the maximum.   You should also
disable the L2 or external cache memory.

Then you should be able to install your operating system.  After the operating
system is installed and settled, nearly always you can then return to the
CMOS and re-enable your external cache and increase the wait states...
though you probably should leave the wait states increased.

The problem comes with some non-Intel pentium processors and the slight
conflict they can setup with some motherboards.   Many people realize that if
they have a non-Intel processor and this is occuring, the best all around
solution is to return the chip for an Intel product...   or to find a motherboard
that is better suited for their processor.

Bob Wright

At 04:11 PM 9/11/98 , you wrote:
>While doing a clean install of Windows 98 on a newly-built computer, I kept
>getting the following errors somewhere when Windows is trying to setup the
>hardware:
>
>"A fatal exception OE has occurred at 0028:BFFF91AF. The current application
>will be terminated. ....."
>
>I then turned the system off, and on again. This time, I get the error
>message:
>
>"MSGSRV32 caused a general protection fault in module SETUPX.DLL at
>0004:00000016
>Registers:-
>EAX=zzaf03c2 CS=1c37 ........"
>
>The first message appears more frequent in my numerous attempts at
>installation of Windows 98.
>Even a fresh FDISK, repartition and reformat will not solve this problem!
>Does anyone please know what these messages signify and also possible
>suggestions on how to correct these errors?

                                  -----
       **Need help with PCBUILD mailing list? Send an Email to:**