RAW-FOOD Archives

Raw Food Diet Support List

RAW-FOOD@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

Date:
Sun, 7 Oct 2001 09:06:50 -0700
Anwar wrote
> Funny!! For some it's all about the preparation and appearance.
> You make me even more eager to try it. You know, once you clean
> it and even perhaps soak/marinate it in something it might be
> better.

After reading what Kirt said, I'd be willing to try raw tripe.  I thought
that that was what I had bought, but I guess not.  It surprises me that a
meat counter would sell something already cooked, but whatever...

> Many have said the same thing about raw meat and hey-hey, look at
> where we're at(or atleast me).

It surprises me that people would say that.  I don't find the smell of raw
meat the least bit objectionable as long as it's fresh.

> And other things for that matter. What if it was neatly cut up in squares,
> in a pretty configuration and perhaps with spices on it. Do you think you
> still would have had the gag reflex?

If were that same tripe with that same pus smell -- absolutely!  I doubt
that any amount of spice could cover up that revolting odor.  But if it were
really fresh, raw tripe, maybe it would smell OK.  I don't really know.

> For instance, the ginko biloba berries. I'll have to be brave and taste
> on fully soon, but they smell like throw-up/rancid butter and most people
> will avidly attest to this but from what I've read they taste like almond.

Across the street from a local coffee shop, there's this tree that I never
really paid much attention to.  I had noticed a bad smell on that corner,
but I thought I was just getting a whiff of old cat poop or wino vomit.  One
day, I made the mistake of parking under that tree and later stank up my
whole car with something I'd stepped in.  Eventually, I realized that the
culprit on my shoe was a piece of the crap that falls from that tree.  I
took a look at the tree the next day, and yup, you guessed it, it was a
ginko biloba.  I guess the nice, non-stinky ginkos that are all over the
place are males.  That's the only fruiting one in town, as far as I know,
and I can smell why! :)

> The same goes for dried fish. Have you ever been at a place where they
> openly dry it in the sun?  I have, it's not a pretty smell at all.
> ALot of people HATE that smell, but it sure does taste good. You dig me?

I dig you, Anwar. :)  I've never smelled drying fish, so I'm not sure how
I'd react to it, but I do have a hard time hanging out at the fishing docks.

Carol