RAW-FOOD Archives

Raw Food Diet Support List

RAW-FOOD@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Jean-Louis Tu <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 7 May 1999 09:09:39 +0200
> Carol:
> Whoa there, J-L!  Yes, I did use the expression "lesser of two evils",
> but that doesn't mean that I consider cold-pressed oils the work of
> the Devil!

I know, I was just making fun with the word "evil" :)

> The article didn't address this issue, but I wonder if more dairy
> products are consumed raw in France.

Some cheeses are made from raw milk, but they are not the
majority. Milk and butter are usually pasteurized. People here are
much less paranoid about bacteria than Americans, but raw dairy is
nevertheless difficult to commercialize because stricter controls are
necessary, and pasteurized milk preserves longer.

> I have heard that France is not big on industrial produce (fruits and
> veggies bred for shipping qualities instead of nutrition and flavor)
> and huge mono-farms like America is;

It is true that farms in France are on average smaller (everything is
smaller: streets, shops, cars, people...) but I don't find that
produce here tastes particularly good. Californian grapes taste better
than French ones, and Sunkist oranges taste at least as good as the
best Spanish oranges.

--Jean-Louis Tu <[log in to unmask]>