From:
David Gillett <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 18 Sep 1998 12:18:47 -0800
On 18 Sep 98 at 11:05, Robert Hale wrote:

> Does anyone know of a good website and/or book that has
> instructions on installing a motherboard properly.

  Not off hand, no.

> The reason I ask is because I am unsure as to where to use the
> little washers that come with the screws. Do they go on top of, or
> below, the motherboard when mounting on the brass mounting screws?

  On top.  Inserting them below the motherboard is practically
impossible.  I believe their purpose is to let you screw the board
down *tight* without damaging it -- note that when you're screwing it
in, the screw head rotates against the board/washer, while the post
doesn't.

> Bruce Boschek wrote:
> >
> > A mounting post that shorts the mainboard that is too lose in the
> > case. It is best to check this by visual inspection. Pressing and
> > pushing can damage the board and/or cause a worse short circuit.

> It's not a major problem, but I do not want to short circuit a
> motherboard because of ignorance.

  I believe Bruce's comment was about a post that is so loose that it
contacts other traces/pins on the board.  A properly installed post
will only contact the board immediately around the mounting hole, and
many board designs RELY on this as a ground connection to the case
itself.

David G

                                  -----
       **Need help with PCBUILD mailing list? Send an Email to:**