From:
Lynnet Bannion <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 14 Feb 1999 09:20:12 -0700
Nieft / Secola wrote:
Dang, but if the stuff was edible I'd be selling worldwide by now. ;)

I recently made my first batch and it was really good.  I dried my own jerky
from buffalo round steak, with only a little salt for flavoring.  If you
marinate it in all that gunk that is normally recommended, it wouldn't make
very good pemmican.  Ground it up in the food processor.  Used lard from the
organic side of pork I bought.  The trick is to render the lard at low
temperatures, just enough to cook out the fat.  DON'T use hamburger drippings,
bleaghhh.  Meat fat cooked at high temperatures has a disgusting flavor, and
can't be that good for you either.

Equal weights lard and groundup jerky, and half that much dried currants.
Melt the lard and mix well with the other ingredients.  Mild and sweet, and
very filling.

Beef fat would probably be better than pork, since it is a harder fat.  But
again you would want to render it yourself, at a low temperature, to keep it
good tasting.

The only commercial site I saw was selling it at $50/lb!  I used $5 of buffalo
steak, the lard and currants certainly cost less than $1, and my yield was 8
oz. Wanna make some money?

Lynnet