From:
Michael Audette <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 28 Aug 1998 11:31:08 -0500
  All I was implying was, there are more than one reasons, for
over-population.
  We don't know about the age of menopause in paleo women. If it's onset was
later in life, that would throw a monkey wrench in it. A lot of older folks
still do it these days. You are right, that could be one factor in the
equation. But if modern humans did live longer, than some over hunting could
have occurred, again forcing a natural adaptation to smaller game, with
faster reproductive cycles. A natural species will rarely out strip it's
natural resources, because it ether moves on to greener pasture, or will eat
some thing else in accordance with it's species. Selection pressure would
then dictate, keeping the population from out stripping it's resources. The
longevity probably varied from group to group, and age to age. If humans
stayed on a HG life style, I doubt we would have to even think about
conservation of resources.
  Mike