From:
Richard Geller <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 12 Aug 1998 07:53:55 -0700
Todd Moody wrote:

> it
> is yet to be shown that significant weight loss can be achieved
> without a caloric deficit (except in people with metabolic
> disorders such as diabetes, which may involve substantial
> excretion of fats).

Todd, what about ketogenic diets like Atkins? Atkins calls it metabolic
advantage when the body secretes ketones through
urine/breath/perspiration. This certainly seems like excretion of fats.
Lots of people eat a lot of calories and lose weight this way. You can
do the same on Neanderthin if you eliminate the fruit, for instance.

> I have not gained any weight in a year on Neanderthin, to
> which I adhere pretty strictly (except for a one-month experiment
> during the winter).  I also have not lost any weight in a year,
> although I am still about 15 pounds overweight.  My diet consists
> almost entirely of meat, nuts, and fruit, in varying proportions.

> I think the simple explanation for this plateau is that I have
> reached an equilibrium point, where my body can readily adjust
> its energy use to my intake.  To lose weight, I will have to
> create a *slight* caloric deficit.

If you really wanted to lose weight, Todd, restrict the carbs. Also, are
you _really_ overweight? Perhaps the weight is turning from fat to lean
body mass. This way of eating seems to cause the body to spontaneously
redistribute from fast to lean body mass over an extended period of
time, regardless of excercise levels. And of course fat weighs a lot
less than muscle.

--Richard